‘Round these parts, summertime means blender-time. Now that I have a Ninja blender (best. Christmas. gift. ever.), I’m riding that smoothie train even harder. I’ve also been making the most of the food processor component that came with my Ninja, which is where this delightful little salad comes in. I’ve talked about my love of chopped salads before, but using the Ninja just takes it to a new level. In less than 45 seconds, I was able to shred a whole head of cabbage into perfect itsy bitsy vegetable confetti. It’s amazing what a 2-horsepower blender engine can do.
Now, this recipe makes a lot of salad. I can put away a lot of food, and it took me the better part of a week eating this with lunch and dinner to finish off the bowl. Not that I minded eating it twice a day – this bad boy is darn good. It may be simple – just cabbage, peas, avocado, and a basic dressing – but it’s crunchy, refreshing, savory, a little spicy (you can change that if you want), creamy (from the avocado), and colorful to boot. The dressing is a longtime favorite; it’s loosely inspired by this salad dressing (from Katie’s blog), which I remember trying for the first time back in my junior year of college. Over the years I’ve simplified it to fit my preferences, and these days I never measure things out when I make it. Instead I go by intuition and some old-fashioned taste tests…which is actually how I do most of my cooking. I’ve done my best to estimate measurements for yall, but as always, you should go by taste/feel and adjust things to fit your preferences!
In addition to being delicious, you’re getting a huge nutritional bang for your buck here. Cabbage is a great source of vitamins C and K and antioxidants; the peas give you another decent boost of vitamin C; the avocado will give you a boatload of vitamins C and K, folate, pantothenic acid, and potassium, along with a healthy does of monounsaturated fats. In other words, a bowl of this goodness is going to do your body (and especially your heart) good. So grab your high-powered food processor, get to choppin’, and start grubbin’!
Purple Confetti Salad
- 1 head red cabbage
- 1 bag frozen peas
- 2/3 cup almond butter
- 2 Tbs lime juice
- 2 Tbs red pepper flakes (I probably used closer to 3 Tbs, but if you don’t like things spicy, keep it closer to 1 Tbs)
- 2 Tbs chopped ginger, jarred or fresh
- 3/4 cup water
- 2 avocados
- Chop cabbage into large chunks (remove stem) and wash.
- Process cabbage in food processor into confetti sized pieces. (I had to do this in 3 batches.)
- Defrost/cook peas and mix with cabbage in large bowl.
- In single-serve blender attachment, blend almond butter, lime juice, pepper flakes, ginger, and water. Add more water to thin out as desired. (I like mine to be the consistency of half-and-half.)
- Toss cabbage mix with dressing.
- Before serving, top with chopped avocado, more lime juice, salt, and lots of pepper.
There you have it! Super simple, super healthy, and super tasty.
Let me know how you like it!