Muffins always, always, always make me think of this scene from Shrek:
It goes without saying that I shamelessly quote that movie whenever possible. My sense of humor is nothing if not odd.
But even if you don’t like Shrek or people who quote hysterical gingerbread men, you will like these muffins. After all, what’s not to like? They’re easy, they include peanut butter (nectar of the
gods hippies), and – of course – packed with protein. So you can be a bro and eat your muffins, too.
(This is getting weird.)
So, long story
short slightly-less-long, I made these flourless chocolate muffins last week. I was hungry, they looked tasty, and the 4 ingredients required were already sitting in my kitchen. Of course, I added an extra banana and extra cocoa powder, because I have a creative license and it likes to be exercised. These bad boys turned out looking like cow pies, but tasting like happiness. I shared some with my family, and my dad liked them so much that he asked if I could tweak the recipe to include more protein.
In the words of Barney Stinson…
So I mucked up the original recipe even further, even going so far as to add protein powder. That’s actually a big deal, because the last time I baked with protein powder was in 2011 when I moved into my first apartment, and it was a disgusting disaster. (The only saving grace was that it was an excuse to play the sexy housewife role and wear a little pink apron with daisy dukes. Don’t tell me you wouldn’t do the same.)
This time, my muffin-making efforts were much more successful. These protein muffins are prettier than their cow pie-looking predecessors, and according to my taste-testers, they taste pretty divine. (I couldn’t try them myself because they contain dairy, but you could easily make them dairy-free.) Maybe my luck was better this time around because I was wearing an adult onesie while I made these. Sometimes you have to trade sexy housewifery for successful muffins.
If you ask me, it’s worth the trade.
And if you ask me, you should definitely invest in an adult onesie.
Easy Peanut Butter Protein Muffins
- 3 very ripe bananas
- roughly 1 cup peanut butter
- about 1/3 cup cocoa powder
- 2 scoops protein powder (I used Pure Protein Vanilla, but other brands/flavors may work, too. Use a dairy-free protein like Skoop B-Strong to make dairy-free muffins.)
- stevia to taste (I used about 2.5 droppers of Trader Joe’s brand liquid stevia)
- a healthy splash of milk, just to help things mix up (use non-dairy alternative to make dairy-free muffins)
- Toss everything but the milk into a food processor or high-powered blender and mix it up.
- Add milk and blend again. The result should be a thick batter.
- Pour into lined muffin tins and bake for 20 minutes at 350°F.
- Devour while dancing around the kitchen in your onesie. (At the very least, do the dancing part.)
*Remember, I treat cooking more like an art than a science. These measurements are all estimates because I didn’t actually measure anything while baking. Have fun with it, get creative, and find yourself a onesie to wear with your bros while you chow down on these muffins and compare gains.